Friday, November 11, 2011

Writing Inspirations - family


Why I love my family (part #1)
(Dad & sis & nefs: Park City 2011)
 The other night, I was needing some information about an upcoming plot point in my NaNo story. I was stuck, so I phoned my father, hoping he could offer me some insight or suggestions. Our conversation went somethinglike this:
(Dad & I. Alaska 2005)
"Dad, here's where I'm at..... My Girl Reporter is covering a protest at the local lumber mill. She knows it's probably nothing because protests at lumber mills are a dime a dozen. But this one actually turns into something. You worked at a lumber mill for forty years. I need some kind of scandal."
"Yes, we had protesters all the time. They were usually about something to do with how cutting down trees is killing the environment."
"Yeah, I don't want to write about that. I'm PRO-timber industry."
"Okay. Let me think about it. The scene you're writing.....is it a peaceful protest?"
 "It started out that way, but then I got kind of stuck in the chapter and didn't know what to do, so Girl Reporter suddenly gets hit on the head by a flying boot and is knocked out."
"Why?"
"I don't know why. I just needed something to happen and....that's what happened."
 "She gets hit by a boot?"
"Yes."
"Why not a shoe?"
"I don't know."
"Why not a two-by-four? At least that's indicative to a lumber mill."
"I thought a boot was funnier."
 "You know, I read a lot of books. True, a lot are fiction, but all of the plots are at least realist. They could all potentially happen. And never have a read a scene with a Girl Reporter getting knocked out by a flying boot for no reason."
"I know! That's why it's funny!"
(Dad & I: Tennessee 2005)
(Dad & Susan: Forks, WA 2008)

(Pops chillin' at Patrick's Point: 2004)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...